I’m struggling to get my tax return done. It’s been in the diary for ages, but I’ve let (more interesting) things take priority this week.
I want it done so I can take a break in August. I’m normally on it as soon as the new tax year starts — like to do it early, so I know how much I have to pay.
I realise I need to do it before school’s out on July 21st. I’m not as focused with a teenager in the house. The energy is different, and my attention is split between work and domestics.
Also, the heat is making me restless. I want to be outside. Long walks. Runs. Hanging out. Living in Hastings is like being on permanent holiday 🤩 🌊
Time to revisit my systems and processes. Look at what I do every day — personally and professionally, and work out how I can maximise my output with minimal effort.
I want to work on my business and myself in August — reading, travelling, studying, and the bigger picture. Set some goals for September — the new year.
Designing better systems will give me more headspace and freedom to be present in the moment — whether I’m writing an email, talking to a friend or shopping with Julieta. It will also help me see what I can outsource.
It’s a mix of digital and physical:
• Notebook and pen (handwriting activates the brain and boosts creativity)
• Trello boards (to plan, move things around, inspirational backgrounds — a visual reminder of where I want to go next)
• Templates for newsletters, emails, and reports I do regularly
• Calendly — set times for calls with an automated Zoom link
• Batching tasks, e.g., Marketing Monday, Fridays for creative writing and personal projects, checking emails at set times
• Hootsuite for social media scheduling (5 x daily posts on the free version)
• Groove app for 50-minute focus sprints — just 4 of us; I love how intimate this feels. One task at a time. Writing an email, making dinner, sorting the garage — it’s all work
• GrowthDay — the first all-in-one personal development app. Underpins it all. Brendon’s energy is infectious! ( here’s my link)
Here’s Mark McGuinness | Creative Coach on how to create systems that serve you.
Listen to an audio version of the article on this episode of The 21st Century Creative podcast, starting at 7’’18.
Learn to Thrive as a Creative Pro: get the FREE 26-week course. It will help you look at your creative career’s bigger picture. Do something new every week to develop your skills.
Happy holidays! See you in September 😎
As always, get in touch if you have something to share, a link suggestion, or just want to say hi 👋
Originally published at https://nikatalbot.substack.com on July 31, 2022.