Welcome to Issue #89!
A group of organisations, including Bravand, is working to make the world a better place to freelance.
Thinking about how they can pool resources and create shared values between freelancers, companies, and agencies.
“Something akin to the Diversity Charter, with the words ‘Don’t be a Dick’ written in large friendly letters,” says Ross Musgrove, Insight & Strategy Director at Bravand.
Early stages – they are gathering data on what the three groups might want from an initiative like this. Check out the videos here.
Bravand has teamed up with Freelancer Magazine to run an event. If you’ve got a fuckup story worth sharing, thoughts on freelancing, or want to support the initiative – get in touch.
I’d like to see:
• Freelancers/contractors are brought in earlier to meet teams and help shape strategy – not last-minute to ‘fix the words.’
• Rewards and incentives on freelancer platforms, e.g. earn credits for Yon Living stays worldwide.
• More private talent clouds like Braintrust and Distributed. Building independent careers with better benefits than permanent employment. On the waitlist!
• Better onboarding and offboarding. To see the final project if a contract ends early. I want to feel part of the team and have a sense of completion!
• Better security solutions: I have my own tech stack and don’t want to receive a corporate laptop through the post.
• Learning & Development: Shaping your solopreneur/squiggly career – defining ‘success’, upskilling and training. I’ve joined BIMA to access roundtables, masterclasses, FutureLearn courses, and peer networks – creating my own CPD!
• More freelancer/contractor reviews on Glassdoor. You can give feedback on clients as a freelancer, but it’s underused – I appreciate the legalities! But helpful if you’re considering taking on a big project.
• A minister for solopreneurs to help put the policy into action. Jane Hunt MP is the new small business minister.
Be a good business
Sign up for a Code of Conduct to show you’re serious about running a fair workplace:
• Coalition for Change: The Freelance Charter
• Underpinned: Freelance Charter
A Wikipedia for freelancers?
ProCopywriters has created a wiki just for copywriters. See their work in progress.
FreelanceWiki: a free, open encyclopaedia for freelancers and solopreneurs. A single source of truth and a place to gather resources.
There’s a pool of talent, resources and communities, and it can feel overwhelming.
The latest episode of The Nowhere Office is about the rise of the solopreneur. Have a listen👇
Stay cool. Work-lite this week – my flat is like a greenhouse 😎 🌊🍷
Written by Nika Talbot – an independent content designer and UX writer based near Brighton.
Get in touch if you have something to share, a link suggestion, or just want to say hi 👋
The Shift is a reader-supported publication. To receive new posts and support my work, consider becoming a free or paid subscriber.